— Next-Gen Wi-Fi 7 Home Network Solution to be available at retailers beginning Oct. 15 —
CommScope (NASDAQ: COMM), a global leader in home networks, today announced that its ARRIS SURFboard® G54 DOCSIS 3.1 quad-band Wi-Fi 7 cable modem will be available to consumers starting on October 15. CommScope will be demonstrating the SURFboard G54 at SCTE® Cable-Tec Expo® 2023 in Denver’s Colorado Convention Center from October 17-19 in booth #773.
One of the first Wi-Fi 7 cable modems available at retailers, the SURFboard G54 delivers the latest Wi-Fi 7 technology and supports multi-gigabit internet plans. The SURFboard G54 includes many advanced features, including DOCSIS® 3.1, quad-band Wi-Fi 7 (BE17880, or the total speed the system can support), a 10 Gbps Ethernet port, and four 1 Gbps LAN ports.
“We’re thrilled to debut retail availability of our SURFboard Wi-Fi 7 product at SCTE,” said Nav Kannan, vice president, Retail and Smart Home Solutions, CommScope. “The SURFboard G54 provides a superior home networking experience for our customers, no matter how many devices they’re using in the home.”
As service providers increasingly offer multi-gigabit networks to subscribers, consumers are expecting better performance while, at the same time, using more connected devices on their home Wi-Fi® networks. Wi-Fi 7 technology ensures consumer applications (such as 4K streaming, gaming, video conferencing, livestreaming, and AR/VR/MR) will have the performance and reliability users need.
Coupling the latest Wi-Fi 7 capabilities with DOCSIS 3.1 technology, the SURFboard G54 can deliver multi-gigabit speeds throughout the home (depending on service provider plan). The modem’s 10 Gbps Ethernet port also enables the home network to support additional Gigabit services directly to the Ethernet connection. As new smart devices are released and added to the home, the SURFboard G54 allows older devices with previous Wi-Fi technology (Wi-Fi 5 and earlier) to coexist on the home network without degrading performance.
The SURFboard G54 leverages the latest Wi-Fi 7 technology and the 6GHz band availability to enable the following capabilities:
- The recently available 6GHz band provides a large amount of uncongested spectrum, unused by previous Wi-Fi technology (Wi-Fi 6 and prior generations)
- Multi-Link Operation (MLO) combines different bands together for even faster speeds, allowing supported Wi-Fi 7 clients to take advantage of simultaneous multiple band connections
- 320MHz channels and the large capacity gains from 6GHz spectrum deliver extremely high throughputs – delivering peak speeds up to 11.5Gbps in 6GHz, which is 2.4 times faster than Wi-Fi 6 devices
- Spectrum puncturing technology helps avoid channel interference to achieve faster Wi-Fi, even in noisy, crowded environments
The SURFboard G54 features intelligent quad-band steering to optimize device connections to the network depending on usage, and balances the system as needed, especially when devices from various Wi-Fi generations are present. Smart channel management technology avoids channel interference and improves bandwidth to ensure the home network is not impacted by neighboring networks. Alternatively, users can manually set devices to each band to personally manage the connections. The SURFboard G54’s quad-band technology optimizes device connections to the appropriate band:
- 2.4 GHz band for IoT and low-bandwidth devices
- 5 GHz low band for Wi-Fi 5 devices
- 5 GHz high band for Wi-Fi 6/7 devices
- 6 GHz band for Wi-Fi 6E/7 devices
This quad-band technology ensures older devices on Wi-Fi 5 will continue to receive the appropriate bandwidth while newer devices leverage the latest Wi-Fi technology (Wi-Fi 6/6E/7) and use the appropriate band (5/6GHz), maximizing performance and speed and reducing latency and jitter.
Wi-Fi 7 for Service Providers
CommScope Home Networks is developing many Wi-Fi 7 solutions for service providers and will be demonstrating them at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo 2023. Highlights will include the potential of Wi-Fi 7 for higher levels of deterministic, service-aware, low-latency Wi-Fi, with a range of solutions based on technology provided by multiple silicon partners. Additional CommScope Home Networks service provider solutions demonstrated at the Expo include:
- HomeVantage™ home networking solutions, an open-source software-based portfolio of flexible solutions for advanced broadband and home services across all access technologies, including DOCSIS, PON and FWA
- HomeVista™ solutions, a portfolio that leverages the technologies of Android™ TV and RDK-based streamer solutions for service providers to simplify and accelerate the introduction of new, innovative video services
- HomeAssure® managed Wi-Fi solutions, a modular service delivery and management platform, including management of containerized applications for the flexible deployment of new services
- Environmental sustainability solutions.
CommScope and the CommScope logo are registered trademarks of CommScope and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. For additional trademark information see https://www.commscope.com/trademarks. Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi 6E and Wi-Fi 7 are trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance. DOCSIS is a trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. SCTE and Cable-Tec Expo are trademarks of the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers. Android is a trademark of Google LLC. All other product names, trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
CommScope (NASDAQ: COMM) is pushing the boundaries of technology to create the world’s most advanced wired and wireless networks. Our global team of employees, innovators and technologists empower customers to anticipate what’s next and invent what’s possible. Discover more at www.commscope.com.
About ARRIS SURFboard:
ARRIS SURFboard products are your gateway to entertainment. They let you enjoy the latest entertainment, world class speeds, and the coolest new services throughout your home, and beyond. And they're available at your favorite retail store. For more information, visit www.surfboard.com.
This press release includes forward-looking statements that are based on information currently available to management, management’s beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, which could cause the actual results to differ materially from those currently expected. In providing forward-looking statements, the company does not intend, and is not undertaking any obligation or duty, to update these statements as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.